Jimi Hendrix Clara McCarty Captain Robert Gray Anna Louise StrongAnna Louise Strong Bailey Gatzert Home WWII Women Pilots
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6819 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Cyberpedia Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Bebb & Mendel Architecture Firm (1901-1914)

HistoryLink.org Essay 119 : Printer-Friendly Format

The architectural firm of Charles Herbert Bebb (1856-1942) and Louis Leonard Mendel (1867-1940) was, from the turn of the century until 1914, the most prominent practice in Seattle.

Charles Bebb

Born at West Hall, Mortlake, Surry, England, on April 10, 1856, Bebb received an impressive education, beginning with private instruction at King’s College in London and preparatory school in Switzerland. He studied civil engineering at both the University of Lausanne, and the School of Mines in London.

His professional career began in South Africa, where, from 1877 to 1882, he engineered the construction of the Cape Town-Kimberley Railway. When he came to the United States, he anticipated drawing on this South African experience and looked for work with the rapidly expanding American railway system. But he found work as a construction engineer with the Illinois Terra Cotta Lumber Company.

With this company, Bebb developed fireproofing technology, a pressing need in the late nineteenth century when fires plagued many American commercial centers. He excelled at the task, and in 1888, the firm of Adler & Sullivan asked Bebb's firm to provide fireproofing for the Auditorium Building, a prominent work of the well-known Chicago firm. Toward the end of the project, Adler & Sullivan asked Bebb to serve as the building’s supervising architect.

In 1890, Bebb came to Seattle to supervise the construction of the Seattle Opera House. Unfortunately for Bebb, this project quickly ended, never reaching construction. After a brief return to Adler & Sullivan, Bebb settled permanently in Seattle.

From 1893 until 1898 when he began his architectural practice, Bebb served as architectural engineer for the Denny Clay Company.

Louis Mendel

Born in Mayen, Germany, Louis Mendel came to the United States in 1882. Mendel began his architectural career in Cleveland, Ohio, first at the firm of Lehman & Schmidt, then with the Schweinfurth Brothers. Like so many others, Mendel moved West in the late 1880s, eventually reaching Puget Sound.

By 1889, Mendel formed partnerships with other architects, completing a number of local projects in Tacoma, Seattle, Port Townsend, Sehome (Bellingham), and Yakima. These projects included commercial buildings, schools, and other public works. The Diller Hotel on First Avenue is an example of Mendel’s work of this period. After the Panic of 1893, Mendel relocated to Los Angeles, where he lived from 1894 to 1898.

Bebb and Mendel

When he returned to Seattle in 1899, he began a working relationship with Charles Bebb, initially drafting in Bebb’s newly established firm. In 1901, they began their prolific partnership. Their works varied in style and type, and included:

  • The Everett Theater, Everett, Washington (1900-1901)
  • The Hotel Stander (1900-1901; destroyed)
  • University Heights School, University District, Seattle (1902; altered)
  • The Oriental Block, Seattle (1902-1903)
  • The Schwabacher Hardware Company Warehouse, Seattle (1903-1905)
  • The Seattle Athletic Club (1903-1904; destroyed)
  • The William Walker house, Seattle (1906-1907)
  • The Frye Hotel, Seattle (1906-1911)
  • The First Church of Christ Scientist, Seattle (1908-1909; 1912-1914)
  • The Washington State Pavilion at the Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition, Seattle (1908-1909; destroyed)
  • The Hoge Building, Seattle (1909-1911)
  • Fire Station No.18, Seattle (1910-1911)
Their partnership ended in 1914.

Post-Partnership

Bebb soon joined with Carl F. Gould (1873-1939); their partnership yielded many significant Seattle public works. Mendel continued a small scale practice which included several large houses and a few commercial buildings.

Bebb faired better than Mendel, due in part to the scope of his efforts. Bebb enjoyed political connections and actively promoted the professionalization of architecture in the Pacific Northwest. He was a founding member of the Washington State Chapter of the American Institute of Architects (AIA), and in 1910 was elected an AIA Fellow. His work with Gould produced award-winning, nationally significant works such as the Art Institute of Seattle (1931-1933), now known as the Seattle Asian Art Museum.

Sources:
David A. Rash and Dennis A. Anderson, "Bebb and Mendel," Shaping Seattle Architecture: A Historical Guide to the Architects ed. by Jeffrey Karl Ochsner (Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1994), 72-77.


< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Related Topics: Biographies | Business |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License


Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You




Charles H. Bebb (1856-1942)
Courtesy Clarence Bagley, History of King County


Louis Mendel depicted in an Argus cartoon ca. 1906



Hoge Building (Bebb and Mendel, 1911)



Frye Hotel (Bebb and Mendel, 1911), 1910s
Postcard


Samuel Hyde House, now Russian Consulate (Bebb and Mendel, 1909), 2001
Photo by David Wilma


 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org