Fred Hutchinson James Delmage Ross Dixy Lee Ray George W. Bush Hazel Wolf Henry M Jackson Warren G. Magnuson Home
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week Book Store Donate Now
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6852 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Cyber Tour
| Next Point > Point 1 of 14

Point 1: Columbia Park
Columbia City's "village green" was originally part of a 40-foot ravine carved by a creek that emptied into Wetmore Slough (now the Genesee Playfield). A huge log bridged the ravine at its southern end. In 1911, the Seattle Park Department cleared away the underbrush, opened up the paths, and cleared out the brook. Salmon were often caught there during spawning season. In the 1920s, the creek was diverted into a sewer line and the ravine was filled. Parts were used as a garbage dump. For many years, especially on warm Sundays, sermons at nearby Columbia Baptist Church were punctuated by the unholy smell of rotting refuse. Today, the ravine is a broad expanse of lawn bracketed by a public library to the east and a row of frame houses, dating from 1902 to 1933, on the west.

| Next Point > Point 1 of 14


Columbia Park, Columbia City, May 2001
Photo by Cassandra Tate


Columbia Park, 1900s
Courtesy Rainier Valley Historical Society

 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org