Jimi Hendrix Clara McCarty Captain Robert Gray Anna Louise StrongAnna Louise Strong Bailey Gatzert Home WWII Women Pilots
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Donate Now! Book Store Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6806 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Cyber Tour
| Next Point > Point 1 of 12

Point 1: NW Market Street at Bergen Place
Bergen Place Park at NW Market Street and Leary Way NW was built to give Ballard a new civic focus and dedicated in 1975 by Norwegian King Olav V. The triangle's name honors Bergen, Norway, Seattle's second Sister City.

The Ballard Building stands on the northwest corner of NW Market Street and 22nd Avenue NW. The neighborhood's largest office building was built in 1927 as the second "Aerie" of the Seattle-based Fraternal Order of Eagles (the first is downtown's landmark Eagles Building, now home of ACT Theater, at 7th and Union). It was designed by William R. Grant and later remodeled to house restaurants, retail stores, and other businesses.

The nearby Majestic Bay Theater was built in 1915 and remodeled in 2000 by philanthropist Ken Alhadeff. Another landmark, the town's original Carnegie Library, is a few doors east on Market Avenue NW. Designed by Henderson Ryan and opened in 1905, the building was succeeded by a new Ballard Library in the early 1960s and now houses private offices.

Former Fire Station 18 is nearby at 5427 Russell Avenue NW and dates from 1911. Now listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the sturdy brick building was designed with Dutch gables by the early partneship of Charles Bebb and Louis Mendel.



| Next Point > Point 1 of 12


Bergen Place Park, NW Market Street and Leary Way NW, Ballard, 2001
Photo by Walt Crowley


Ballard Building, Market Street and 22nd Avenue, Seattle, 2000
Courtesy Walt Crowley


Ballard's original Carnegie Library (Henderson Ryan, 1905), 2000
Courtesy Walt Crowley

 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org