Captain George Vancouver Julia Butler Hansen Carlos Bulosan Ernestine Anderson Kurt Cobain Bill Gates & Paul Allen Home
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Donate Now! Book Store Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6770 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Cyber Tour
<< Back to Start | < Previous Point | Next Point > Point 5 of 30

Point 5: Ford Motor Company Assembly Plant (John Graham Sr., 1913)
700 Fairview Avenue N

The Ford Motor Company constructed this five-story regional assembly plant for Model T modules shipped from Detroit. It was one of Seattle's earliest large scale reinforced-concrete buildings and one of Ford's earliest regional assembly plants. Architect John Graham Sr. went on to serve as principal architect for Ford. He also designed many Seattle landmarks including the Joshua Green Building, the Seattle Yacht Club, and the Exchange Building. Henry Ford chose Seattle as a Model T assembly point after visiting the city in 1909 during the Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition. Ford assembly plants built between 1913-1920 in Buffalo, Toronto, New York, Portland, and Dallas used the Seattle plant's design. By the late 1920s Ford needed a larger factory and in 1932 moved production to a one-floor plant at 4730 East Marginal Way. Ironically, plunging automobile sales during the Great Depression forced him to end production at that plant less than a year later.

In 1935 Fuller Paint Company purchased the building, adding a loading dock and installing four 25,000-gallon tanks at the southeast corner of the site to store linseed oil and turpentine. Craftsman Press, for many years Washington's largest printer, acquired the building in 1965. Until 1995 the Burlington Northern Railroad ran across Fairview Avenue to a spur on the south side of the building. After this service ceased, Craftsman sold the building to Shurgard Storage. Shurgard corporate offices occupied the building's top floor and mini-storage units filled the lower levels. In August 2006 Public Storage, Inc. of Glendale, California, purchased Shurgard. As of May 2007 the Ford Assembly Plant Building houses only storage units. On August 17, 1998, the Ford Assembly Plant Building was designated a City of Seattle landmark.



<< Back to Start | < Previous Point | Next Point > Point 5 of 30


Ford Motor Company Assembly Plant (John Graham, Sr., 1913) under construction, 1913
Courtesy Paul Dorpat


Ford Motor Company assembly plant (John Graham Sr., 1913), Seattle, 1928
Courtesy MOHAI


Former Ford Motor Company Assembly Plant, Seattle, July 27, 2007
HistoryLink.org photo by Paula Becker

 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org