William O. Douglas Betty Bowen Carl Maxey Chief Joseph Bertha Landes Buffalo Soldier Home
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Featured Eassy Book Store Donate Now
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6872 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Cyber Tour
<< Back to Start | < Previous Point | Next Point > Point 23 of 30

Point 23: New Richmond Laundry (Max Umbrecht, 1917, with subsequent additions)
224 Pontius Avenue N

Commissioned by laundryman and former Seattle City Council member William H. Weaver as the Metropolitan Laundry, this facility initially specialized in family (rather than commercial, hotel, or hospital) laundry. Two additions share the original building's brick facade.

Over the years the businesses operating from the New Richmond Laundry building included the PRIM Laundry, Pantorium Laundry, and Pantorium Dye Works.

Over time, operations included steam-powered laundry and dye works, a gas-powered commercial laundry, a dry cleaning facility, and hospital laundry for the University of Washington. On November 3, 1999, the New Richmond Laundry was designated a City of Seattle Landmark. At that time it was the sole working survivor among the South Lake Union/Cascade neighborhood's once-numerous steam laundry facilities.



<< Back to Start | < Previous Point | Next Point > Point 23 of 30


New Richmond Laundry, Seattle, ca. 1937
Courtesy Puget Sound Regional Branch Washington State Archives (Neg. 684970-0100)


Pantorium Dye Works/New Richmond Laundry, Seattle, ca. 1937
Courtesy Puget Sound Regional Branch Washington State Archives (Neg. 684970-0100)


New Richmond Laundry Building (Max Umbrecht, 1917, NBBJ Architects, 2005), Seattle, May 19, 2007
HistoryLink.org photo by Paula Becker

 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org