< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >
HistoryLink.org Essay 965
: Printer-Friendly Format
The Greenwood Cemetery (also known as Woodland Cemetery) was
located at 85th Street and Greenwood Avenue N from 1891 to 1907. The
cemetery was removed and the land converted to building lots; it is unknown whether the cemetery was removed for commercial or logistical reasons.
The Greenwood Cemetery was designed to be a large cemetery. It was platted as 160 acres. The secretary for the cemetery corporation was the same H. R. Clise who was the secretary for the Mount Pleasant Cemetery on Queen Anne hill. Thus it seems plausible that Greenwood was intended as an expansion for that cemetery, located outside of the then Seattle city limits to avoid the restriction on new cemeteries within the city.
Some records indicate that this cemetery was also known as the Woodland Cemetery, and that Greenwood Avenue was named for the cemetery.
Seattle City Directories; Isobel Chapman Northgate Reflections (Seattle?: n.p.,1977)
< Browse to Previous Essay
Browse to Next Essay >
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You