Old Cascade Lumber Company mill in Yakima closes after 103 years on August 5, 2006.

  • By David Wilma
  • Posted 8/09/2006
  • HistoryLink.org Essay 7883
On August 5, 2006, the old Cascade Lumber Company mill in Yakima is closed by Yakima Resources, Inc. after 103 years of operation. The mill first opened in 1903 to cut lumber floated down the Teanaway and Yakima rivers.

In 1903, Yakima businessmen formed the Cascade Lumber Company on the banks of the Yakima River northeast of the city. Small mills cutting lumber in communities like Wenas, Cowiche, and at the mouth of the Tieton River were no longer viable as the pine forests were logged off. Hauling logs by wagon to mills proved uneconomical.

To feed the new mill, loggers floated logs down the Yakima and Teanaway rivers to a flume in annual drives during spring high water. In 1914, Cascade built a narrow-gauge railroad on the Teanaway, which gave rise to the community of Casland in 1917. Cascade continued to be the largest mill in Yakima.

In 1957, Cascade combined with Boise Payette Lumber Company to form Boise Cascade, which expanded operations to include the manufacture of plywood. In 1984, 450 people at the mill processing 200 million board feet. Boise Cascade automated the mill in the 1980s and the payroll dropped to 225.

Boise Cascade became Boise and the corporation shifted its emphasis to office supplies and its retail operation, Office Max. In January 2004, Melvin L. and Norman N. McDougal purchased the mill for $3.25 million and leased it to Frontier Resources of Eugene, Oregon, which operated it as Yakima Resources. Frontier planned to close the mill in 2005, but delayed the action when a fire damaged another mill.

In June 2006, 225 employees in Yakima received a 60-day notice that their jobs at Frontier would end and that the mill would close on August 5.

Sources: Yakima: A Centennial Perspective, 1885-1985 (Yakima: Yakima Centennial Commission, 1984), 34; Mai Hoang, Herald-Republic (Yakima), June 2, 2006, p. A-1; Benjamin J. Romano, "Sawmill Timeline," Ibid., August 13, 2005, p. 1; Mai Hoang, "Memories of the Mill," Ibid., August 6, 2006, p. A-1.

Related Topics:   Industry

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You