Rainier Valley and Hillman City beginnings: Hillman Post Office (later Hanford) opens on March 30, 1904.

  • By Greg Lange
  • Posted 1/01/1999
  • HistoryLink.org Essay 589
On March 30, 1904, Hillman Post Office opens within the future city limits of Seattle. Martin Coltenbaugh is appointed postmaster. Hillman City is part of the Rainier Valley and is located four miles southeast of downtown Seattle.

The post office may have been located near the corner of Rainier Avenue S and S Orcas Street. Its name changed to Hanford Post Office on May 4, 1906.

Sources: Guy Reed Ramsey, "Postmarked Washington, 1850-1960," Microfilm (Olympia: Washington State Library, February, 1966), 678.

Related Topics:   Cities & Towns | Government & Politics | Infrastructure

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You