Tukwila beginnings: Foster Post Office opens on August 17, 1903.

  • By Greg Lange
  • Posted 1/01/2000
  • HistoryLink.org Essay 582
On August 17, 1903, Foster Post Office opens. Adam Held serves as the first postmaster. Mail is distributed from a store operated by Joseph Foster located at 52nd Avenue S (formerly Foster Street) and Interurban Avenue S.

On April 30, 1907, the post office closes. Foster was located 9 miles south of Seattle within the city limits of Tukwila on the Duwamish River at the southwest quarter of the northwest quarter Section 14 Township 23 N Range 4 E.


Sources: Guy Reed Ramsey, "Postmarked Washington, 1850-1960," Microfilm (Olympia: Washington State Library, February, 1966), 671-672.

Related Topics:   Cities & Towns | Government & Politics | Infrastructure

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You