Seattle Beginnings: Brighton Post Office opens on April 11, 1901.

  • By Greg Lange
  • Posted 11/01/1998
  • HistoryLink.org Essay 570
On April 11, 1901, an attempt is made to establish the Brighton Post Office. Mrs. Arline F. Maxwell is appointed postmaster. The post office is reestablished on October 23, 1901, and Mary E. Hadlock is appointed postmaster. The mail is distributed from the Hadlock grocery store at the northeast corner of Rainier Avenue S and S Holly Street.

On October 31, 1911, the post office closed. It was located five miles southeast of the business district of Seattle within the future city limits in the Brighton neighborhood.


Sources: Guy Reed Ramsey, "Postmarked Washington, 1850-1960," Microfilm (Olympia: Washington State Library, February, 1966), 662-663.

Related Topics:   Cities & Towns | Government & Politics | Infrastructure

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You