Birch Post Office opens on March 23, 1892.

  • By Greg Lange
  • Posted 12/13/1998
  • Essay 535
On March 23, 1892 Birch Post Office opens. Arnold Keller is appointed and serves as the only postmaster. On July 15, 1897, the post office closes. Birch is located 30 miles southeast of Seattle 1.5 miles northeast of Enumclaw along the Northern Pacific Railroad line.

All land in the Western United States, including King County, Washington, is surveyed into a rectangular grid system in accordance with the U. S. Land Ordinance of 1785. The grid system, used to identify the legal boundaries of real estate, divides land into sections and townships. A section is one square mile (640 acres) and a township is 36 sections (36 square miles). Birch is located at the southwest quarter Section 7 Township 20 N Range 7 E.

Sources: Guy Reed Ramsey, "Postmarked Washington, 1850-1960," Microfilm (Olympia: Washington State Library, February, 1966), 640.

Related Topics:   Cities & Towns

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
Major Support for Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You