The Durham Colliery was originally organized by Peter Kirk's Moss Bay Iron & Steel Co. in 1886 to supply coal for his planned Kirkland steel mills. Durham was named for a town in Kirk's native north England. Coal production commenced in 1888 but was shut down within a year.
On March 2, 1915, the Durham post office reopened after being closed for 21 years. (Coal mining had resumed.) Herbert T. Pinkham was postmaster. The post office closed permanently on May 31, 1921.