Black River Post Office opens on August 12, 1891.

  • By Greg Lange
  • Posted 12/13/1998
  • HistoryLink.org Essay 526
On August 12, 1891, the Black River Post Office opens. Henry A. MacMillan is the first postmaster. The mail is distributed from the railroad depot.

On September 15, 1909, the post office closed. Black River was located 10 miles south of Seattle about two miles west of Renton along the Northern Pacific Railroad line on the east bank of Duwamish River.


Sources: Guy Reed Ramsey, "Postmarked Washington, 1850-1960," Microfilm (Olympia: Washington State Library, February, 1966), 634-635.

Related Topics:   Cities & Towns | Government & Politics | Infrastructure | Vanished

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You