Kangley/Selleck beginnings: Kangley Post Office opens on June 30, 1890.

  • By Greg Lange
  • Posted 10/01/1998
  • HistoryLink.org Essay 523
Kangley Post Office is established on June 30, 1890. John Peterson Jr. is the first postmaster. Mail is distributed at the coal mine where Peterson works. On October 20, 1898, the post office closes for four years.

Kangley Post Office reopened on February 28, 1903. When it reopened John Lavender was postmaster. The mail was distributed from Lavender's store. On March 4, 1910, the post office name changed to Selleck.

Kangley is located 29 miles southeast of Seattle and was on the Northern Pacific and Milwaukee Railroad line.


Sources: Guy Reed Ramsey, "Postmarked Washington, 1850-1960," Microfilm (Olympia: Washington State Library, February, 1966), 631.

Related Topics:   Cities & Towns | Government & Politics

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You