Avondale beginnings: White Post Office opens on January 6, 1890.

  • By Greg Lange
  • Posted 12/12/1998
  • HistoryLink.org Essay 503
On January 6, 1890, White Post Office opens in east King County. Mrs. Edna Provan serves as the only postmaster. The nearest shipping point is Redmond, four miles away.

The post office closed on January 25, 1895. White, now (2004) known as Avondale, is located on the Eastside of Lake Washington, 14 miles northeast of Seattle, 3.5 miles northeast of Redmond along Bear Creek.


Sources: Guy Reed Ramsey, "Postmarked Washington, 1850-1960," Microfilm (Olympia: Washington State Library, February, 1966), 626.

Related Topics:   Cities & Towns | Government & Politics | Infrastructure

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You