Vashon Island beginnings: Chautauqua Post Office (renamed Ellisport) opens on September 10, 1888.

  • By Greg Lange
  • Posted 12/12/1998
  • HistoryLink.org Essay 495
On September 10, 1888, the Chautauqua Post Office opens. Edward E. Perry is appointed first postmaster.

The name Chautauqua changed to Ellisport on February 27, 1912. The town is located on the east shore of Vashon Island at the north end of Tramp Harbor. Vashon Island is in Puget Sound between Seattle and Tacoma.

Chautauqua was the site of the first "Chautauqua," a summertime presentation of lectures, discussions, and cultural activities lasting several days to a week in a resort atmosphere. Puget Sound's first Chautauqua took place on Vashon Island in August 1885.


Sources: Guy Reed Ramsey, "Postmarked Washington, 1850-1960," Microfilm (Olympia: Washington State Library, February, 1966), 612; "Chautauqua comes to Vashon Island on August 3, 1885," HistoryLink Timeline Library, (www.historylink.org).

Related Topics:   Cities & Towns | Government & Politics | Infrastructure

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You