Kent beginnings: Kent Post Office opens on October 29, 1884.

  • By Greg Lange
  • Posted 12/07/1998
  • Essay 455
On October 29, 1884, the Kent Post Office opens. Nicholis H. Martin is appointed postmaster. Kent is located in the White River valley 16 miles south of Seattle.

The post office was located in Martin and Buchanan's store on the west side of 1st Avenue between Grove and Titus Streets.

By the time Kent incorporated in 1890, it was a farming community with hop growing at the center of its economy.

Sources: Guy Reed Ramsey, "Postmarked Washington, 1850-1960," Microfilm (Olympia: Washington State Library, February, 1966), 587-590.

Related Topics:   Cities & Towns | Government & Politics | Infrastructure

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
Major Support for Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You