Redmond beginnings: Melrose Post Office name changed to Redmond on March 19, 1883.

  • By Greg Lange
  • Posted 12/07/1998
  • HistoryLink.org Essay 452
Redmond Post Office, called Melrose when it opened on June 28, 1881, changes to Redmond on March 19, 1883. Luke M. McRedmond is the postmaster at the time of the name change. Redmond is located in King County on the eastside of Lake Washington, four miles east of Kirkland.

Luke M. McRedmond (1820-1898) was appointed postmaster of Melrose on December 11, 1882. He persuaded the U. S. Post Office to change the name to Redmond three months later. The post office was located in the Redmond Trading Company, a general store. The Seattle, Lakeshore & Eastern Railroad arrived in 1885. Before that the mail was delivered on the wagon road around the north of Lake Washington. Logging and milling were the main industries of Redmond.


Sources: Guy Reed Ramsey, "Postmarked Washington, 1850-1960," Microfilm (Olympia: Washington State Library, February, 1966), 579-582.

Related Topics:   Cities & Towns | Government & Politics | Infrastructure

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You