Kirkland beginnings: Houghton Post Office opens on June 20, 1881.

  • By Greg Lange
  • Posted 12/07/1998
  • HistoryLink.org Essay 449
Houghton Post Office is established on June 20, 1881. James Curtis is the first postmaster. The post office is located seven miles northwest of Seattle within the future city limits of Kirkland on the east shore of Lake Washington along the Northern Pacific Railroad line.

The post office did not operate from December 15, 1905 till January 22, 1906. On April 15, 1961, it became a branch of the Kirkland Post Office. The branch closed sometime during 1962-1963.


Sources: Guy Reed Ramsey, "Postmarked Washington, 1850-1960," Microfilm (Olympia: Washington State Library, February, 1966), 574-575.

Related Topics:   Cities & Towns | Government & Politics

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You