On October 6, 1947, bookmobile service in Seattle resumes. A custom-built van nicknamed "Molly" visits 17 different stops in neighborhoods and at schools, which have grown during World War II. The city's first bookmobile was parked in 1932 due to budget cuts. A second unit will be added in 1954.
Each stop originally lasted from one to three hours, but as the demand for library services grew, the stops were shortened to as little as 10 minutes. The bookmobile was staffed by a librarian and a driver who served as a clerk during the stops.