Wallingford got its first branch in 1948, when Alice Wilmot Dennis donated her home at 4422 Meridian Avenue N for use as a library. Dennis stipulated that the building be used as a library for 30 years and be named in memory of her sister, Florence Wilmot Metcalf. The library remained there for 36 years, then moved into an old fire station on N 45 Street at Densmore Avenue N, where it rented space from the 45th Street Community Health Center.
The Libraries For All branch featured 2,000-square-feet of space with 14-foot ceilings. Mayor Paul Schell (1937-2014) was on hand for the opening.