On March 14, 1892, the South Seattle Post Office is established. The first postmaster is Guilford L. Burdic, who serves until replaced by John C. Werner on February 2, 1899. On July 1, 1902, the United States Post Office Department appoints Fred L. Heidrich postmaster. He distributes the mail from 8th Avenue S and Pacific Avenue, an independent post office until the last day of 1904.
On January 1, 1905 the post office became a Seattle Post Office branch and was renamed Station M (also called the South Seattle Station). Fred L. Heidrich continued as postmaster until February 1, 1908. South Seattle was first developed in 1870 with the platting of an area bounded by Hanford and Adam Streets and 9th and 12th avenues south.
In 1907 the City of Seattle annexed South Seattle.
Guy Reed Ramsey, "Postmarked Washington, 1850-1960," Microfilm (Olympia: Washington State Library, February, 1966), p. 639, 747.
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You