Address: 3726 E Madison Street. Seattle architects Bebb and Mendel designed a Neo-classical mansion for liquor dealer Samuel Hyde in 1909. The building had two stories, and an adjacent brick carriage house, curvilinear walks and gardens, and a curving drive.
The grounds are believed to have been laid out by the Olmsted Brothers who also designed Seattle's system of parks and boulevards and the grounds of the Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition. The imposing entrance sported a Corinthian columned portico. There was a brick-walled terrace and the rooms and hallways are richly paneled in hardwoods.
On December 28, 1981, the Hyde Residence was designated a Seattle landmark because of its distinctive architectural style. In 1994, the building became the consulate for the new Russian Federation. The U.S. Department of State holds title to the property, which sold for $1.3 million.
Seattle Department of Neighborhoods, Landmarks Preservation Board, 700 Third Avenue, 4th Floor, Seattle, Washington;
Lawrence Kreisman, Made to Last: Historic Preservation in Seattle and King County, (Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1999), 67.