Coal gas lights Seattle streets, homes, and businesses for the first time on December 31, 1873.

  • By Greg Lange
  • Posted 11/04/1998
  • HistoryLink.org Essay 199
On December 31, 1873, coal gas is used for the first time to light Seattle streets, homes, and businesses.

Charles E. Burrows was awarded the franchise on June 6, 1873, and built a coal gas plant in the (present-day) Pioneer Square area.


Sources: Myra L. Phelps, Public Works in Seattle: A Narrative History; The Engineering Department, 1875-1975 (Seattle: Seattle Engineering Department, 1978), 148.

Related Topics:   Firsts | Infrastructure

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You