The Squire's Opera House was Seattle's first theater, but Seattle had community centers and meeting halls to gather in within a couple of years of settlement. The previous halls were Yesler Mill Cook House (1853-59), Plummer’s Hall (1859-66), Yesler’s Hall (1861-70), and Yesler’s Pavilion (1865-87)
The Squire’s Opera House, located on the east side of Commercial Street (1st Avenue S) between Washington and Main streets, was built as a theater with two levels of seating for 584 theater-goers. During the next year, various operas and plays were performed, including selections from Macbeth by Barton Hill and Josephine Cameron, Seattle Minstrels, and a ventriloquist mystery by Professor Vertelli and Miss Rowland.
To its owners the Squire’s Opera House did not seem profitable enough. In September 1882, they turned it into the New Brunswick Hotel.