Another activist in the library's revival was its recording secretary, Mrs. Adelaide Heilbron. Her father W. H. Piper had owned Boston's famous W. H. Piper Bookstore, where the mainguard of nineteenth century American literature mingled -- Whittier, Lowell, Holmes, Longfellow, and Hawthorne. Young Adelaide grew up at their side absorbing their wit and erudition.
With Mrs. J. T. Haines, the principal arbiter of Seattle's increasingly urbane late-century fashions, and others, Adelaide Heilbron raised thousands of dollars for the association with all-night balls, cruises to Victoria, and direct solicitations.
The city's Great Fire of 1889 delayed the opening of the Association's library until April 1891, when a reading room was engaged on the fifth floor of the flat-iron Occidental Block facing Pioneer Square. The circulation department started later that year. In 1893, the library printed its first catalogue of books.