On May 9, 1872, the "Ladies of the Congregational Church" put on an Apron Festival at the Pavilion (located in Seattle at the southeast corner of Front Street [renamed 1st Avenue] and Cherry). The women associated with the church decorate the hall and display more than 150 aprons of "every conceivable design and style" (Weekly Intelligencer May 13, 1872). About 100 people attend the Apron Festival and by evening's end every apron is sold.
The churchwomen filled up three supper tables "loaded down with the best appointed collation ever served at any public entertainment in this city" (Weekly Intelligencer May 13, 1872). The women raised $125, which went to the Congregational Church building fund.
Construction commenced in September 1872. The church was completed and dedicated in August 1873.
The Weekly Intelligencer (Seattle), May 13, 1872, p. 3; Ibid., September 30, 1872, p. 3; Puget Sound Dispatch (Seattle), May 9, 1872, p. 3; Alice D. Rayner, The Path We Came By: A History of the Plymouth Congregational Church Seattle, Washington, 1869 to 1937 (Seattle?: n.p., ca. 1937), 22-23.
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You