Seattle Chamber of Commerce reports the waterfront highly developed on December 31, 1901.

  • By Patrick McRoberts
  • Posted 11/04/1998
  • HistoryLink.org Essay 162
On December 31, 1901, following a period of building on the waterfront to support the growing trade with Asia, the Chamber of Commerce reports: "Instead of the old irregular of wharfs and bunkers, there is now a complete chain of piers constructed along similar lines and in general conformity with each other ... .They represent a period of greatest development of the city" (Bermer, 23).

The Northern Pacific Railroad and the Pacific Coast Company, which owned the coalfields near the Green River, were primarily responsible for the construction of 18 piers and warehouses during 1900.


Sources: Richard C. Berner, Seattle 1900-1920: From Boomtown, Urban Turbulence, to Restoration (Seattle, Charles Press, 1991), 23.

Related Topics:   Industry | Infrastructure | Maritime

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You